48 Votes in Poll
True. @ Kocka.
Sorry for late reply, but let me address my opinions.
- If possible, try removing the first option, since we now have announcements.
- Basic wikitext like '''bold text''' or ''italic text'' are definitely a must-add in Discussions. It's currently impossible to do so, and it seems to pretty stupid if Discussions is going to be fully released without wikitext, or at least any sort of text formatting.
- Syntax highlighting is rarely used in wikis other than metawikis, so I don't really see the need of implementing it in discussions.
- The design is sleek, but at the same time, needs more support from ThemeDesigner.
- I agree that better moderation tools should be in apps, but maybe it should be one of the later things to be added, since many people come to the app for reading articles and news.
- Telling users when they're blocked everywhere is pretty useful, and I'm looking forward to seeing it.
- Wiki header is already added, and so is the guidelines link, but kind of. It only shows like once at a time.
From my post on CC:
- One thing that could help to expand use of Discussions would be a wikitext linking shortcut like [[d:animanga]] for: animanga.wikia.com/d
-- I noticed fand.om is not taken... .om is the top level domain of Oman. Maybe FANDOM should look into buying it so they could have shortened links like fand.dom/d/Hxsdhr1w (for discussions) or fand.dom/w/lSjd53kr (for wiki). Looks like .dom is not available, so fan.dom won't work.
- Some minimal markup for inline links is a must. The current single link think with auto preview is really annoying.
Basic theme: Just keep the illusion that users haven't left their wiki
- BG color + text colors = good to go...
PC needs to adjust the tiny empty mobile layout...
Let PC use 2 columns instead of 3, expanding the active area into the 3rd column. Either:
- A toggle hide button for that nearly empty right sidebar
- Or move all the ui to one column
The discussions FAQ feels disingenuous, irritating, and is missing important info.
Please just state outright if features aren't available, rather than vaguely encouraging users to waste time searching for options that don't exist/have yet to be implemented.
- "Can my community ask to turn off Discussions if we try it and don't like it? The answer can vary depending on the situation"
It won't vary. Just let users know, without any teasing, that it's not an option. This answer wastes users' time with false hope. Wikia doesn't want people on the old forums, and that's fine. Just make it clear.
- "How can I change the look of the web version of Discussions?
The colors and theme are connected to the Theme Designer settings. Also, the design and layout of the Discussions feature are still evolving. Tell us more about the specific elements you would like to change"
"Connected" is misleading. Please just say they can't be changed manually yet.
I can't be the only user who read that, then dug around my theme/google search/wikia forums with growing disappointment. Tell us the limitations straight up on the FAQ instead of making us search and get frustrated twice.
Does FANDOM staff read any of this or is it just for venting?
Hah well... all their discussion info asks for feedback, so we can only hope...
One I just thought of by chance. Maybe add the option to change / cancel your vote on polls, because I accidentally misclicked on Syntax highlighting and can't seem to change my vote.
Other than that; wikitext, markdown and actual site-wide customization options (e.g. CSS).
I suspect the poll code is separate from Discussions and Discussions just knows how to embed the polls, so it really should be sent directly to FANDOM staff (Special:Contact/general)
A background like on the rest of the wiki would be nice
What do you think?